Although mobile applications and operating systems are very much secure in comparison to their desktop counterparts, they still require comprehensive testing plans to be implemented so that security features can be considered robust at all times. It becomes very much evident whenever people talk about the mobile application development stages because there are multiple areas that need proper protection on behalf of people in the form of sensitive information, endpoint communication, authorization and authentication in the whole process. The concept of the OWASP mobile security testing guide will be very much successful in providing people with a baseline for the developers so that safeguarding of the applications will be very well carried out without any problem.
What do you need to know about the OWASP mobile security testing guide?
OWASP mobile security testing guide is basically a comprehensive manual that will be based upon and listing the guidelines for mobile application security development, reverse engineering and the testing systems for the iOS as well as Android application systems.
Following are some of the very basic technicalities that you need to understand about this particular concept:
Mobile application taxonomy:
This particular concept very well justifies that mobile application is a fundamental term which will be standing for any program which will be running on a mobile device, and there are some of the basic types of mobile applications which have been justified as follows:
- The native application will be the one that will be native to the particular system for which it has been developed, and it will closely interact with the device operating system of the mobile. This particular concept is very much successful in directly accessing the multiple components of the device in the form of sensors and cameras so that the software development kit will be perfectly implemented.
- The web application will be the one that will be running on the top of the device’s browser and ultimately will be feeling like a native application in the industry. This concept is very well justified in that there will be no interaction with the device components and, ultimately, will be based upon sandboxes in the right system and the proper sense without any problem.
- The hybrid application will be the one that is an essential combination of the native and Web applications and ultimately will be executing like a native application, but a portion of the entire system will be running into the embedded Web browser. This aspect is very well justified in that the obstruction layer will be very well focused on in the whole process so that everybody will be able to enjoy relevant access controls without any problems in the entire process.
- The progressive web application will be one that will look like regular web pages but ultimately comes with the significant benefit of allowing the developers to work offline and get accessibility to mobile device hardware systems. This will be helpful in combining the different open standards available on the internet so that everyone will be able to enjoy an improved and better user experience in the long run without any problem.
Mobile application security testing:
The security testing of the mobile application has to be done at every step of the development until the release, and there are a good number of testing systems to be focused on in the whole process. Some of those have been very well justified as follows:
- Blackbox testing is the scenario in which the concerned person will be behaving like an actual attacker and ultimately will be exploring the best possible combinations of the user cases, which will be publicly available in discoverable terms of information. This is also known as the concept of zero-knowledge testing systems.
- The exact opposite of the above-mentioned point will be the concept of white box testing, which will be helpful in conducting sophisticated testing systems with knowledge about the vulnerabilities, source code, documentation and diagram. This is also known as by the name of complete knowledge testing.
- GRAY box testing is another prevalent scenario that will be coming up with the combination of both the above-mentioned points and ultimately helps in streamlining things with the help of credentials. Things in this particular scenario will usually be hidden, and there is no chance of any kind of problem.
- Vulnerability analysis will be based upon the concern we were looking for the vulnerabilities in the application, and the static analysis, in this particular case, will include a detailed analysis of the source code. The best part of this specific scenario is that it can be done either manually or automatically at all points.
- Dynamic analysis is much more sophisticated since it will be done during the runtime and ultimately helps in providing the concerned people with the best opportunity of dealing with the specifications of vulnerable entry points, weak features and loopholes without any problem in the whole system.
- Penetration testing is the scenario in which the testing has to be done in the final or the near-final stages, and ultimately, this will be helpful in dealing with this comprehensive plan, starting right from the preparation, information gathering and application mapping in the whole process. Actual testing and reporting, in this particular case, have to be very well sorted out right from the beginning so that things will be carried out without any problems in the whole process.
In addition to the points mentioned above, developing a good understanding of the approaches and best possible practices of the high-security position is definitely essential so that a comprehensive assessment will be carried out and everybody will be able to achieve a good understanding of the environment. Analysis of the coding quality and security in this particular case is very much essential to be focused on so that penetration testing will be carried out very quickly and further planning and execution will be very well done right from the beginning. Emerging technologies have to be focused on in the form of IOT and AI so that the scope of cyber attacks can be very well understood and everybody will be able to deal with the introduction of automation at every step without any problem. Hence, involving the experts from the house of Appsealing is also equally important in the entire system so that everyone will be able to carry out things very quickly and further will be able to focus on the real-time analysis without any problem to improve the competencies at all times.